3. Typical Fire Damage and Decay copy_edited
4.Repairs in Progress Showing Crash Deck copy 2
5.Fence Post decay_edited
2. Land  Based Frame Repairs[1]_edited



First opened in 1893 as a structure for loading coal from the North Durham coalfield onto ships on the River Tyne, the Staiths are reputed to have been the largest timber structure in Europe, when built.  It is now Grade Il* listed and a Scheduled Monument in the care of the Tyne & Wear Building Preservation Trust.

Repairs under Historic England grant aid were carried out on the six land-based frames, and deck and handrail repairs were also done under a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Further plans are in hand to provide public access to the east end and across a length of some 40m, which was destroyed in an arson attack.